Monday, March 4, 2013

Foundation Revelation Part I

I finally got down to the wine cellar to look at foundational things
and
I had a revelation!

#1: Into The Wine Cellar
First you come down the stairs by the office,
which I am SURE must be original old basement stairs.
 Then duck under the ramp (which you have done before here)
and you get into the wine cellar,
which is an amazing place all on its own.

This is near the north east corner of the original old building, to the right of the penguin in the above photo.

See the brick on top of the old stone foundation? That is the current outside north wall. Notice there is no sill plate!

Absolutely gorgeous.
 




The old beams are held up by brick pillars which are all over the old original basement.


#2: Into The BACK Wine Cellar
The wine cellar has two parts. 
If you turn left you get to the back part of the cellar.
You, of course, will notice right away that
 this doorway was busted through the original foundation wall,
which means there is an addition on the back of the original building
of which I was never aware.

#3 Parenthetical Back Wine Cellar Remarks
Remark  A: Just before you enter the back cellar you go past the Shelf Of Wines Special To Dan.
Once, last summer, an air conditioner in a window above this spot broke and flooded the north wall and floor of the wine cellar. We had to move every case of wine that was stacked against the wall and dry the floor. Dan's special wines got wet and we took every bottle off the shelf and dried it carefully. Dan was on his Annual Summer Jaunt (the only time he does not actually live and breath Store) and so was spared the pain of dealing with that event.

Remark B: The back part stores coffee as well as wine and so it smells beguiling in there.
Remark C: IT IS THE ONLY PLACE IN THE STORE YOU CAN'T HEAR THE MUSIC!!!!!
Doesn't it LOOK quiet?
Looking back out to the main wine cellar. Special Wines Shelf Part II is on the left. The very popular Vermont Coffee Company coffee is on the right.(Shameless Coffee Company Promotion Link just for the fun of it)
   
#4 The Revelation Continued
Once I realized that there was an addition I wondered what that meant for
the stairs to the Boot Room,
the Chip Room,
the Baggie Back Stock Room,
the Nail Bench,
the Yet Unrevealed Toy Department,
and everything else beyond the office and the old basement stairs.
So now we must go back upstairs and examine the ceiling and beams by the office.
Which I am not prepared to do today.
In fact, I am exhausted by the organizational effort required to get THIS far.
And I need to go take some pics of what I want to show next.
It is worth the wait.
We are going to end up outside looking at the old north wall.
You are really going to like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.