In the eastern U.S. and Canada
the mountains are all worn down and puny
the mountains are all worn down and puny
'cause they are O L D.
Relatively speaking of course.
The Appalachian Range runs from Alabama, way down south,
all the way up to Newfoundland in Canada.
It includes many places I hike regularly,
like the Green Mountains in Vermont,
and the White Mountains in New Hampshire,
but NOT the Adirondacks in New York.
The Adirondacks
(which might be my soul's true home, if you recall)
are part of a range running north into Quebec, Canada.
They were formed at a different geological time
in a different geological way.
in a different geological way.
See google for details.
So what does all that mean to you and me?
Nuthin' really.
I was just digressing.
I am good at that.
Which is sorta sad becuase it makes me boring.
Self-eval: Kind-hearted, but lacks focus.
I mean, maybe not kind-hearted ACTUALLY,
but the wish to be kind-hearted is in me.
And I practice kind-heartedness,
to try to get it right
and make it a habit,
so someday, someone might describe me as:
"kind-hearted, but lacks focus."
Anyway...
I was saying...
I was just digressing.
I am good at that.
Which is sorta sad becuase it makes me boring.
Self-eval: Kind-hearted, but lacks focus.
I mean, maybe not kind-hearted ACTUALLY,
but the wish to be kind-hearted is in me.
And I practice kind-heartedness,
to try to get it right
and make it a habit,
so someday, someone might describe me as:
"kind-hearted, but lacks focus."
Anyway...
I was saying...
Becuase they are old and puny,
a mountain over 4,000 feet in the east
a mountain over 4,000 feet in the east
is worthy of questing after.
So we climb the 46 over 4,000 feet in the 'Daks,
and the 5 in the Greens,
and the 48 in the Whites,
and let ourselves feel all special about it.
and let ourselves feel all special about it.
I have 9 left in the 'Daks. Long-ass snotty hikes.
And it's a long-ass snotty drive,
so I decided to start questing in the Whites,
which are much closer to me.
The Whites and the 'Daks are the same, but different.
The hikes in the Whites are shorter,
but steeper and more dangerous.
The 'Daks are more wilderness-like,
with longer approach hikes to the high peaks.
All this to say that I hiked my second 4K peak in the Whites,
called Moriah,
on a nondescript summer day,
with a nondescript group of people,
and it was a ho hum sorta hike.
But it wasn't the 'Daks, if ya know what I mean.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.