high above a mountain
in a very blue sky.
You rose up on a plume of warmth
then wafted slowly towards the earth.
You landed in a forest by an ancient tree.
I dreamed you sat to wait for me.
I came as light
filtering through the leaves,
falling across your spirit.
Then I became a woman.
My hands became powerful
and I began to gather in the strength of things.
Then you became a woman.
You spread your arms
and crimson flowers spilled from your breasts.
We walked until we found a river.
The river flowed out from you,
to its end,
to its end,
which was me.
We bathed often and were clean.
I became seed and sun and rain.
You became earth.
And when again we stood upright,
in bodies molded from your own clay,
the river was still there.
But it was swollen and dark
and it carried the corpses of things
we had drowned.
I felt the pain of that.
And I feel the pain even now,
awake so long
from this strange dream
of petals
and mystery
and love.
(February 1987, Wanakena, NY)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.