I once planted a liriodendron tulipifera
that my grandmother brought to me as a sapling.
The deer ate it every year and it got mowed several times
but it still grew tall and straight,
until it was too big to be hurt by those sorts of things anymore.
I want my heart to grow like that,
tall and straight,
so it will no longer close
when it is eaten by loneliness,
jealousy, anger, envy.
I want my heart to grow like that,
tall and straight,
so it will no longer close
when it is eaten by loneliness,
jealousy, anger, envy.
The liriodendron tulipifera has beautiful glossy leaves --
like large, beckoning hands.
It has flowers like great bowls of nectar --
It has flowers like great bowls of nectar --
an offering to the birds and butterflies and bees.
I want my heart to open like that,
as if with large beckoning hands
as if with large beckoning hands
that can offer great bowls of nectar to the world.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.