Vermont has mountains. I don't have to go to the Adirondacks for a challenging hike. I decided to hike Mt. Mansfield, the highest mountain in Vermont.
I hiked up this trail. It did, indeed, contain quite a bit of vertical hauling and scrambling. Enough that I knew I did NOT want to go back down it.
The summit cone from the top of Hell Brook, called the "chin." It looks so impressive, right?

I got tantalizingly close to the highest point in Vermont. Then I came to this rock. After the first big step it was just a walk up, really. It was way easier than a lot of what I had hauled myself up already.
BUT
There was nothing but empty air RIGHT behind me!I couldn't do it. Not alone.
Some uber-fit guy (not so much younger than me) came along and blew past me while making a comment about how this spot was The Crux and how he didn't like to come this way in the winter and blah-blah-blah. In a flash he was up and out of sight.
WAIT!
GIVE ME A HAND!
SELFLESSNESS LOOKS GOOD ON YOUR KARMIC RESUME, BUDDY!
GIVE ME A HAND!
SELFLESSNESS LOOKS GOOD ON YOUR KARMIC RESUME, BUDDY!
Oh well. Maybe next time.
This is the view from as far as I got.
That bare rock is the "adam's apple" at the far northern end of the ridge. The Hell Brook trail comes up on the other side of that.
I went back down the chin, hiked down the Long Trail, and met a nice fellow named Hiker Ed at the parking area who gave me a ride back to my car at the Hell Brook trail head.
What a great day.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.