Saturday, October 17, 2009

Adirondack High Peakage 30/46

I got the Wolf Jaws and Armstrong. It was an icy, lonely climb. On my entire UPWARD climb I met only one hiker coming DOWN at 9:30 AM. He gave me the full Doom Report re: the weather on Upper Wolf Jaw.

It was indeed an IMPRESSIVE WEATHER COMBO: snow and hail... bruised sky... boot sucking mud and standing water on the trail... ice on the rock faces. I went on to Armstrong anyway.

As I stood on the summit of Armstong looking at Gothics, I distinctly felt that I might leave this earth if I were to go on. So... Gothics next weekend from the other direction.

Below: Gothics from Saddleback... the trail is visible to the left of the exposed face in the center foreground with the final section over the exposed face at the top... I think.
Had I gone on last weekend I would have come up the ridge from the back, over the two bumps and descended the exposed rock in the foreground.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - you're fit!
    Now, for Gothics, I hope you will be suitably equipped? You know: all-black tattered clothing generously exposing various bits of flesh, wild hair, primitive weapons of mass destruction, i-pod playing heavy metal, intimidating tatoos and multiple body - piercings?
    (Or is that just a British fashion?)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.